View of the Post Office Lobby in 2008.  Photo by John Pilge.




Piece Title
Soquel Post Office Mural
Name(s) of Artist(s)
Frank Hill
Commissioned By
US Post Office
Former lobby of Soquel Post Office.
Installation Date

 In January 2012, the annex was closed because the building was leased.  They moved the postal boxes into the other building and left the art. The landlord made no claims on the art.  The re-modeling crew found the paintings in the building in July 2012.  The crew boss made inquiries to find out if someone else wanted them, then eventually posted an ad on Craigslist, offering the artwork for free.  The Capitola museum have some of the images in storage. Parts of the mural were sold at auction by the Soquel Pioneer & Historical Association.


January 2012. After the boxes were moved to the other building.

Description of Work

The art included images of historic people of Monterey Bay. Center: Tiburcio Vásquez. Right: The pirate, Hippolyte de Bouchard .Cartoon interpretation of historical scenes of Monterey Bay history. Some of the people portrayed made history outside the county.

In January 2012, the lobby and service area were closed and moved to the former mail distribution area across the parking lot. (The tan building on the far left.)


Images from the left side of the old Post Office Annex wall. Left to right the images are
F. Hein, John Daubinbiss,grizzley bear,old stamp, early view of Soquel, S. A. Hall, Charley
Parkhurst, Juanipero Sierra, Maria Castro and China Beach.


Left to right: Daubenbiss house, inside a general store, view of Soquel Drive, Billy's Barber Shop, and part of the Odd Fellows building. 

Left to right:  Bouchard the pirate, 1890 Soquel School, Bates Creek Mill, US naval ship, old stamp and early potato farm family.

Related Links

Mural Out-takes

This entry is a seed - a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help the Santa Cruz Wiki by expanding it! Simply click on the "Edit" button.