Corydon Apartments, 734 and 736 West Princess Anne Road  (1919-Present)



The apartment building was owned and built for Corydon Mercer Baylor in 1919.  The building’s name is the first name of Corydon M Baylor.  It was built the same time as its sister building, Mercer Apartments at 740 and 742 West Princess Anne Road.


Street Address:

 736 Armistead Bridge Road (1919)

 736 Armistead Avenue (1920-1924)

 736 West Princess Anne Road (1924-19xx)

 734 and 736 West Princess Anne Road (19xx-Present)

Name (Original)

 Corydon Apartments

Name (Also Known As)



 Philip B. Moser (Norfolk, VA)


 Johnson Construction Corporation (Norfolk, VA)

Architectural Style


Cost (Original)

 $ 40,000

Construction Date:

 Apr to July 1919

Opening Date:


Demolition Date:



 36.865641, -76.298269

Norfolk City GPIN:



Major Keywords/Search Terms:

Ghent | Apartment Buildings | Norfolk, Virginia | Corydon Mercer Baylor | Philip B. Moser | Corydon Apartments | Buildings | 



1)    Primary Sources:


             1)    Books and Pamphlets:

                                 City Directories: (selective)

  • 1920-1921 Norfolk City Directory, page 961 (736 Armistead Avenue) first listing
  • 1924 Norfolk City Directory, page 1034.  (Street changes to West Princess Anne Road)


             2)    Documents/Collections:

  • Block 708, Guaranty Title and Trust Corporation Records, MSS 0000-052, Sargeant Memorial Collection, Norfolk Public Library, Norfolk, Virginia
  • Permit # 10297, from Box 24, folder 1 of City of Norfolk Department of Public Works, Division of Building Inspection, Demolition and Building Permits, RG 22-2016-001, Sargeant Memorial Collection, Norfolk Public Library, Norfolk, Virginia
  • Norfolk, Virginia.  (Deed for property, from Kate G. West, West, Denison, Wayt, and Wayt to Corydon M. Baylor on February 6, 1919), Deed Book 238A, page 549.
  • Norfolk, Virginia.  (Plumbing Deed by C. M. Baylor, July 8, 1919), Deed Book 245A, page 273.
  • Norfolk, Virginia.  (Deed from C. M. Baylor to Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company to install wiring, October 8, 1919), Deed Book 253C, page 28.


              3)    Maps/Plats/Surveys:

  • Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.  Norfolk, VA, 1928 edition. Volume 2, sheet 214.
  • Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.  Norfolk, VA, 1928-1950 edition. Volume 2, sheet 213.
  • Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps.  Norfolk, VA, 1970 edition. Volume 2, sheet 213.


              4)    Newspaper/Magazines/Journals:

2)    Secondary Sources:


              1)    Books and Pamphlets:

Wells, John E., and Robert E. Dalton. The Virginia Architects, 1835-1955: A Biographical Dictionary. Richmond, VA: New South Architectural Press, 1997. 312.


             2)    Documents/Collections:

Norfolk (Va.), Building Inspection Office, Architectural drawings and plans, 1898-1980. Accession 32256, Local government records collection, The Library of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia.

Box 21 Control Number: folder: 276   Apartment on Armistead Bridge Road for C. M. Baylor - Permit Number: 10296-10297, Address: 732-738 Princess Anne Rd., 1919  Media: Blueprints; Sheets: 9; Tag Number: 1940-80;  Drawn by: Philip B. Moser, Architect, 702 Law Building, Norfolk, Va.; Contractor: Johnson Construction Co.; Commissioned by: C. M. Baylor; Notes: Includes three sheets by Alex O. Ferebee, Architect, Norfolk, for alterations to the 4th Floor of the Corydon Apartments, (Permit # 43110), 9/19/1940. Also known as Mercer Apartments.